April is both National Child Abuse Prevention and Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Christy Beck, from Beck Psychotherapy, discusses some of the statistics.
· 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18
· 90% of the perpetrators are someone the child knows
· 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lives.
· In 8 out of 10 cases, the victim knew the perpetrator
· Sexual Assault is the most under-reported crime; 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police
Beck Psychotherapy is located at 103 East Beaver Ave. Suite #2 in State College, and at 700 Park Avenue Suite #1 in Altoona. You can call them at (814) 409-7744. Calls are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.