Update: Pleasant Hill Baptist Church has been deemed a total loss after Tuesday morning’s fire, according to Johnstown Fire Chief Bob Statler.
The fire was ruled accidental and the cause was likely a faulty furnace located in the basement, according to Chief Statler.
When members of the congregation learned of the fire, they rushed over to the church.
Once firefighters outed the fire and deemed it safe, church goers were allowed to inspect some of the damage and salvage whatever they could get their hands on.
“We’re going to have to sit down and plan on how to rebuild. I don’t know where we will hold prayer yet, but I’m sure someone will offer to help us.” – Pastor Clyde Williams Jr.
JOHNSTOWN, Pa. (WTAJ) — Multiple fire departments are at the scene of a church fire in Johnstown Tuesday morning.
According to dispatch, a fire broke out at a church on the 200 block of Peelor Street (Pleasant Hill Baptist Church) around 6:40 a.m. on Oct. 31.
Johnstown Fire Department said a second alarm was struck as they battled the blaze in the basement and first floor (chapel).
While further details are limited at this time, dispatch says no one was taken to the hospital with injuries.
This is a developing story, please check back for updates and download the WTAJ app to receive breaking news notifications.
Johnstown, Richland, West Hills FD, West End & Hilltop EMS all responded.
Stick with WTAJ on-air and online as we continue to keep you up to date.